U8 (2012) Age Group
UpdatedFriday February 28, 2020 byJoanne Crosbie.
Gender specific - 4 v 4 on a micro field; coaches are replaced on the field with referees.
- Modified soccer – 4 v 4
- Game day – 2 x 20 minute halves with referee controlling and timing substitutions
- Teach supportive play, not positions
- One practice per week
- Referees help teach the rules during the game
- All goal kicks are taken from the endline.
- No penalty kicks or offsides
Age group goal – Have fun with skill! Learn complex triangle (diamond). Support teammates both offensively and defensively.
- Dribbling with change of pace
- Stepping over the ball and turning
- Cutting the with speed
- Shielding under pressure
- Receiving and not stopping the ball
- Receiving and looking for teammates
- Passing with inside, outside, and instep of the foot
- Lifting the ball for passing
- No heading allowed
- Shooting with the instep
- Finishing with the inside and outside of the foot
- Throw-ins with step and toe drag
- Spreading wide on offense – getting width
- Goal-side defense – shrinking the field
- Support offense and defense
- Passing and moving to space
- Using body space (arms)
Coach’s role: Increase your knowledge of the game, continue to have fun