U7 (2011) Age Group
Updated Wednesday July 19, 2017 by Maggie Slater.
Gender specific - 3 v 3 on a micro-field with coaches on the field.
- Micro soccer with 3 v. 3 with maximum 6 on a team in the fall, 4 v. 4 with maximum 8 on a team in the spring
- Goalkeepers are added during the spring season
- Skills and game day – Short skills warm-up with 2 x 20 minute game
- Coach teaches skills
- Coach on the field during the game, no referees
- Start to instruct the rules of the game to get them ready for U8
- Goalies may not punt
- Weekday practices are recommended. Practices still need to be fun.
- Learn the “triangle”
Age group goal – Have more fun!
- Dribbling with all parts of the foot
- Dribbling and avoiding others
- Receiving the ball with foot, thigh, and chest
- Turning with the ball with inside, outside, and sole of the foot
- Kicking with the instep and outside of the foot
- Goalkeeper skills – catching, blocking, bowling the ball
- Spreading wide on goal kicks and on passes
- Defensive positioning – Goal-side on corner kicks and throw-ins
Coach’s role: Chief learner and researcher of the game